Just in for fall 2016 from Field Notes Brand!
This is the aptly-titled “Lunacy” Edition. There’s lots to love about this release. The embossed covers are made from Neenah’s Classic Crest “Epic Black Stipple” which features a gorgeous, almost leathery finish. For the first time ever, we’ve die-cut the covers, using individual dies for each of the three books.
The moon that’s visible through the die-cut is printed in 4-color on a glossy flyleaf which also includes facts and folklore about earth’s constant companion, as well as a lovely shot of the dark side of the moon in the back of the books. The Field Notes logo is embossed with a subtle hit of varnish, and the back cover features an embossed full moon. The books are bound with black staples (of course), and the 48 body pages feature a reticle pattern on light grey “Moondust” pages.
“Lunacy” is a limited-edition, so when they’re gone. they’re gone.
Once we decided to go all-in on this moon topic we had to do something special for the film that accompanies it. Check that above if you haven’t already. As in many of our projects, we combined old-school techniques with cutting-edge equipment to produce dramatic results. Hopefully you’ll enjoy watching the film as much as we enjoyed making it, and you won’t have to clean up the huge mess we made.
Thanks a million for for supporting the lunacy that is Field Notes. It is possible we have completely lost our minds here at HQ, but if the band you’re in starts playing different tunes…
Check out the video for Lunacy!
- Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- Cover: Neenah Classic Crest “Epic Black Stipple” 100#C, with die cutting and embossing by Nu Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
- Innards: Domtar Earth Choice “Gray” 60#T with “Moondust Gray,” and Opus Text “White” 70# with 4-color process soy-based Saphira inks.
- Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- Reticle grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.